The present boundaries of Loralai district contain two sub-divisions namely sub-division Duki and sub-division Bori. Duki sub-division is further divided into Tehsil Duki and Sub-Tehsil Sinjavi. Sub-division Bori consists of tehsil Bori and sub-tehsil Makhter.
In 1545 Duki, a dependency of the Kandahar province, was conferred upon Mir Sayyid Ali by the Mughal Emperor Humayun. The province of Kandahar continued under Mughals until the year 1559 when it passed into the hands of the Safavids Kings of Persia and remained under their control until 1595. In 1595 it was recaptured by Emperor Akbar the Great, during Akbar’s reign the territory of Duki which was generally garrisoned, formed an eastern dependency of the Kandahar Province and provided a contingent of 500 horses and 1,000-foot (300 m) soldiers. In 1622 Kandahar again passed under the Safavids.
In 1653 Emperor Shah Jahan sent a large expedition under his eldest son Dara-Shikoh to regain Kandahar but in vain. This was the last attempt on the part of the Mughals to regain Kandahar which was now lost to them for ever. Mir Wais Ghilzai or Khilji established Ghilzai/Khilji power in Kandahar around 1709. After 30 years of supremacy the Ghilzai/Khilji power gave way to Nadir Shah who captured after a severe struggle in 1737. However in 1747 Nadir Shah was assassinated and Ahmad Shah Durrani took over the reign of Government. The Durranis were followed in about 1826 by the Barakzai under Dost Mohammad. Almost the whole of Loralai District remained under this dynasty till 1879, in 1879 Duki and the Thal Chotiali country with other parts of Balochistan passed into the hands of the British.
In 1879 at the close of the first phase of Afghan war a British contingent while returning from Kandahar was opposed by a large body of tribesmen from the Zhob and Bori valley at Baghao under command of Shah Jahan (chief of Zhob). However tribal lashkar was defeated completely. In 1881 Thal Chotiali (Sibi) which included Duki was made Sub district of the Harnai political Agency. In 1881 inhabitants of Sanjavi were brought under British subjugation. In 1883 it was decided to build cantt at Duki and the Garrison of Thal Chotiali (Sibi) leaving a detachment at Gumbaz. In October 1884 a force comprising 4800 men moved in to Bori (Loralai) valley and the mission was completely successful. In the following years it was decided that a frontier road should be constructed from Dera Ghazi Khan to Pishin through Loralai. The cantt from Duki was accordingly moved forward in 1886 to Loralai and Mil posts were stationed at Sanjavi, Mekhtar and Kingri. The Head Quarter of Assistant Political Agent at Duki was also changed to Loralai. In Nov 1887 Duki and Thal Chotiali (Sibi) were declared parts of British India and for the purpose of administration, the designation of the Political Agent was changed to that of Deputy Commissioner. In 1888 Sir Robert Sandeman proceeded with a small force through Musa Khel to Southern Zhob. Ultimately this led to the occupation of the Zhob valley in 1889. Loralai town and cantt remained under the Thal Chotiali Dist until 1894 when it was made over to the Zhob Agency.
Many NGOs are working in Loralai district initially for the Afghan refugees and host communities and now for the whole resident communities. Mercy Corps, an International humanitarian organisation has recently started its ECTB program in Loralai along with five other districts i.e. Barkhan, Kohlu, Musakhel and Ziarat. ECTB program is intended to provide free test and diagnosis for the patients of killer disease Tuberculosis. Mercy Corps will also start many other projects from reproductive health to HIV & AIDS control program in its future plans for the district of Loralai. This project of ECTB is funded by the European Union and implemented by Mercy Corps. Some other local NGOs are also working in the region like LAFAM,Association For Heath Development(A H D)which is working on malaria and has started its free medical camp in D H Q hospital Duki in collaboration with directorate of malaria control program and remained its camp open as long as malari being controlled in the area. WRANGA and many more. Wrang is a pashto language word which means 'beam of light.
All kinds of fruits and vegetables are cultivated in this district. Loralai is especially famous for its almond and apple production. Loralai is also rich in marble and its marble tiles are gaining popularity throughout the country. A lot of marble trimming factories have been established in the district and it now provides marble tiles to various parts of the country. The major source of income for the common inhabitants is agriculture and farming.and also for marble industries . nasrullah marble and mining co one of the company from area it is working since 1998 .
The town, which is situated 4,700 ft (1,400 m) above the sea level in which the wealth of the inhabitants is derived from their herds of cattle and other animals also. The district is also popular in the business of items especially vehicles smuggled here through Afghan Transit Trade. All types of vehicles are smuggled to Loralai and then to the other parts of the country after being customed or duplicated in papers here.