Chakwal is a district in the Punjab province of Pakistan. Chakwal district was created in 1985, until the year 2000 when divisions were abolished, it was part of Rawalpindi Division.
The district of Chakwal, which covers an area of 6,524, is subdivided into 4 tehsils, these tehsils were formerly part of neighbouring districts:
Chakwal of Jhelum District
At present district Chakwal consists of 4 subdivisions - Chakwal, Talagang , Choa Saidan Shah,and Kallar Kahar, 23 qanungois and 198 patwar circles. The police subdivisions correspond with those of the district administration and there are 11 police stations- Chakwal City, Saddar, Kallar Kahar, Dhumman, Nila, Dhudhial, Talagang City, Saddar, Tamman, Lawa and Choa Saidan Shah.
Quite a number of historical sites lie in the undulations of Chakwal, the more important of which are:
Katas Raj is a medieval town sacred to the Hindus and lies about 5 kilometres west of Choa Saidan Shah on the Choa-Kallar Kahar road. Its importance is derived from the fact that it contains over a 100 temples built over a period of more than a 1000 years by its Hindu Rajas. Some of these temples are dilapidated but a large number of them have been well maintained. Hindu pilgrims from all over Pakistan and India frequently visit this town to worship. Katas Raj at its peak time was the well renowned University, a famous mathematician Alberuni measured the circumference of the earth while he was studying the Sanskrit in this University.
Dulmial is located just 3 km from Katas Raj, a town which is very famous for the services rendered from its residents to all walks of life for Pakistan and also in British Army. Dulmial is one of the two towns on Earth which was awarded with the Victoria Gun After WWI in 1920. The gun was received by Cap. Ghulam Mohammad Malik and other WWI veterans. Since the creation of Pakistan Dulmial has kept its reputaion in the Pak Army as well, apart from the military services this town is also known for the reputation of its people working in high ranks in almost every important governmental and non governmental organisations.
Akwal village is situated west 3 miles (4.8 km) of Talagang, it is a wealthy village with schools and colleges for girls and boys, mostly the people are related recruited into the. Mr Noor Khan who was awarded the "Tamgha Shuja Bahdari" in the 1948 war for shooting down Indian aircraft near Muzaffarabad.
Bhagwal is a famous town of the Chakwal. It has very important political town because the famous Journalist and Political Leader "Ayaz Ameer" belongs to this town.
Bilalabad (Kufri) is one of the oldest towns of Tehsil Talagang. Its population is over eight thousand, before partition its dominant population were wealthy Hindus, whose businesses were spread up to Peshawar. The houses built by them are still master pieces of architecture. Most of the population are from the Awan. Beside farming the clan is noted for performing a distinguished role in Pakistan Defence Services and business. Where few years back Gentleman Cadit Umar Awan S/O Col(Rtd) Nazir awan and nephew of Wing Cdr Anwar Awan & Wing Cdr Ahmed Awan claimed "Sword of Honour" from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst UK.
Budhial is a village located about 25 kilometres from Talagang. This a beautiful village, and has many places worth seeing.
Choa Saidanshah village and tehsil of Chakwal are named after a famous Sufi Sakhi Saidan Sherazi Choa Saidan Shah. It is a beautiful valley of Chakwal
Dharyala Kahun is a beautiful village situated at a hill top in the Kahoon valley, 13 km away from the centre of Choa Saiden Shah. Majority of the population are Awans and serving in the Armed Forces and other businesses. Lt Gen Muhammad Afsar,a proud son of the village earned laurals for Dharyala Kahoon when he passed out as number one from Pakistan Military Academy Kakul in April 1963. He rose to be Engineer In Chief of the Army and retired as Quarter Master General. After his retirement he served as Managing Director Army Welfare Trust also.
Dhoular is a village of Tehsil Talagang, it is one of the oldest, largest and culturally rich village of the area.
Dullah is a beautiful village of Tehsil Chakwal, it is one of the oldest villages, most of people are serving in the Pakistan army, but unfortunately a lot of work is still needed to promote literacy, some people are living without electricity.
Lawa is one of the largest villages in Asia, it is a village of Talagang Tehsil, it has a population of over 115,000.
Khoday - this village is situated in North of City Chakwal total population of this village is near about 6,000. Most of the people of this village are now residing in UK, Hong Kong And Middle East. this village is popular for ox racing in district. The biggest tribe of this village are the Awans.
Piera Fatehial is a village of Talagang, it is located about 15 km from Talagand. Its population is more than 10000, it is one of the most educated village in the area.
Rupwal is one of the oldest and historic towns of Chakwal.
Tamman is a medium sized village, located 30 km towards west from Talagang it is one of the oldest town with more than 10,000 population. Tamman High School, is considered as one of the most up to date high schools in the area.